Capital Farm Credit awarded 20 grants in 2019 totaling $20,000 to Farmers Markets across the state.
"The Farm Credit System has served agriculture and rural communities for over 100 years, and Capital Farm Credit is proud to be an important part of that rich history of supporting our farmers and ranchers," said Jay Stewart, chief lending officer for Capital Farm Credit. "As a borrower owned cooperative, our mission is to help rural areas grow and thrive by providing these farmers and ranchers with the capital they need to make their businesses successful."
"Many consumers today have little appreciation for the hard work it takes to put food on our tables," he added. "Local farmers markets provide an opportunity to connect and help tell that story. We established the farmers' market grant program to provide these local markets with additional resources they need to support local farmers."
2019 grant recipients are:
- Bastrop 1832 Farmers Market
- Bellville Farmers Market
- Burton Farmers Market
- Concho Valley Farmers Market
- Corpus Christi Downtown Farmers Market
- Dripping Springs Farmers Market
- El Centro de Laredo Farmers Market
- El Paso Farmers Market
- Fredericksburg Farmers Market
- Fresh for Less Markets
- Ganado Farmers Market
- Grapeland Farmers Market
- LaGrange Farmers Market
- McCulloch Farmers Market
- Sustainable Food Center Farmers Market
- Texas Farmers Market
- Vernon Farmers Market Association
- Victoria Farmers Market
- Waco Downtown Farmers Market
- West Texas Growers Association