AgriInsurance | Pasture, Rangeland, & Forage Insurance
Pasture, Rangeland and Forage (PRF) Insurance protects hay and livestock producers against loss of forage due to drought. The program uses precipitation levels determined by a rainfall index to determine when the plan pays an indemnity.
How PRF insurance works:
- Choose the number of acres you want to insure.
- Select at least two, 2-month periods – called index intervals – in which precipitation is important to your operation.
- The rainfall index uses National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Climate Prediction Center (NOAA CPC) data for the grid where the property is located.
- Insurance payments are determined using NOAA CPC data for the grids and index intervals you choose to insure. When the final grid index falls below your "trigger grid index," you may receive an indemnity for lack of precipitation.
- Coverage is based on the experience of the entire grid – not on an individual farm or ranch or a specific weather station in the general area.
PRF Insurance sign-up deadline (for coming year): November 15